Do you miss those days when your kids where little and ate ANYTHING you put on their plates? Well, I do. I am not quite certain what happened. I distinctly remember that my children were really adventurous as toddlers and loved trying new foods. There was not a food they totally rejected or refused to eat.
Sadly this has changed as we moved into the preteen and teen years. My son has decided that mortal enemy number one is fish. But as we all know: fish is healthy and doctors recommend we eat it twice a week because of the Omega-3s. Luckily I found one recipe that even the fish-hater in our household loves to eat: Fish Tacos. As an added benefit they are very easy to make and cleaning up your kitchen won’t take long either.
1 pound of white fish (Tilapia or Catfish)
4 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
half a head of red cabbage, very thinly sliced, stem removed
juice of a lime
4 ounces of feta cheese sliced or crumbled
1 jalapeno sliced thinly
1- 2 Avocados
pepper and salt to taste
12-16 corn tortillas
How to make it:
1. Slice the fish into bite sized pieces and marinate with 2 teaspoons of oil, cumin, and coriander, sprinkling of salt, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Whisk the lime juice with the rest of the oil and some salt and pepper. Add the shredded cabbage and toss like a salad.
3. Put all the other toppings (feta, cilantro, jalapeno, avocado) into little bowls and arrange on the table – in the center where everybody can reach them.
4. Put a little bit of vegetable oil in a sauteing pan and cook the fish in it. I like to have a bit of a golden crust on mine and cook it through. Takes about 5-7 minutes depending on the size of your pieces of fish.
5. Warm the tortillas and bring them and the fish to table.
Now everybody can assemble their favorite combination of ingredients. My kids really love to pile feta cheese and cabbage on. Where did that fish go? Oh, I can hardly taste it but it’s somewhere in there. I love fish tacos. Even our fish-hater will consume 5 or 6 of these tacos without complaint…
Ulla Seckler is a dollmaker who was born and raised in Germany. She lives in beautiful Colorado with her husband and two kids. You can find her Notes by a German Dollmaker on her blog where she shares some great German recipes, pictures of her sweet dolls, and life lessons learned. Don’t forget to stop by her Etsyshop and take a peek at her wonderful doll creations.